The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Thursday warned any individual or group of individuals plotting to scuttle the planned inauguration on May 29 2023 to have a rethink of having the military and other security agencies to contend with.
The Director of Defence Media Operation, Major General Musa Danmadami handed down the warning whilst briefing Newsmen on the successes of military operational engagements in all theatres of operations across the 6 geopolitical zones.
Responding to questions during the brief, General Danmadami assured that the presidential inauguration billed to hold on May 29, 2023, will hold as planned.
He said Nigerians should not harbour any fear that the May 29 transition will be truncated, noting that there was no reason (s) why the inauguration of the President-elect won’t hold.
He added that the military in collaboration with the police and other security agencies were working round the clock to deal decisively with any potential threat inimical to the peaceful inauguration.
He pointed out that the electioneering has come and gone and the winner was declared hence the inauguration will hold as planned.
“I will reiterate that we are on standby to make sure that nothing unwanted happens.
The issue of threat to the security and stability of the country is addressed promptly.
“Elections have come and gone. For the presidential election, a winner has been announced. There is a transition committee in place comprising all members of the security agencies, ministries and agencies of government to make sure the event is held successfully and without a glitch.
“We don’t see reasons why there should be a problem during the activity.
“The inauguration will come and go and nothing will happen. We are not going to relent at ensuring there is peace and stability across the length and breadth of the country,” he assured.
Speaking earlier on the successes recorded during the military operation, the Director noted that troops have continued to record significant achievements during its onslaughts against the criminal elements between 20 April to 4 May 2023.
General Danmadami said during the period in the North East, “troops (equally) neutralized 40 terrorists, and arrested 25 terrorists as well as 8 terrorist logistics suppliers.
“Troops also rescued 131 abducted civilians while a total of 510 Boko Haram/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists and members of their families, comprising 54 adult males, 164 adult females and 292 children surrendered to troops at different locations within the theatre of operations.
“All recovered items and apprehended suspects have been handed over to the relevant authority for further action. Equally, the rescued terrorists escapees and members of their families were profiled and given medical attention, while the surrendered terrorists and members of their families are also been profiled for further action.”
He disclosed that in the North West, 25 terrorists were killed, 38 arrested and four (4) kidnapped civilians were rescued while 11 terrorists were nabbed, nine were killed and six civilian captives were rescued in the North Central zone during the operations.
- He added that troops, in addition, nabbed five suspected cultists who engaged in a fight with the vigilante and destroyed 41 illegal refining sites among several other successes recorded in the South-South within the period under review.